Eat My Daylilies ... you’ve got to be joking!
No, I’m not. If there was a famine I’m sure you wouldn’t mind eating them, would you?! Have a look at this photo and tell me what part you don’t think could be eaten. There are quite a few of you who have been growing daylilies for a long time now so you must have lots of plants spread around your garden. Why not treat them as a potential food source? They are highly nutritious!
Our “garden” at the moment consists of lots of annuals, herbs, perennials and roses all growing in containers and pots spread along a large north-facing verandah (see main picture on next page). When my daylilies in the tubs finish flowering I cut stems from the farm with lots of buds on them and push them into the tubs, and this is where I pick buds or spent flowers for stir fries or salads. This morning I put two of yesterdays spent flowers in my fruit smoothie and have not suffered any ill effects
yet! A word of caution... the Dining On Daylilies article mentions to just eat a few to start off so that your system can get used to them.
Check out this website to read about an American writer's experience. http://honest-food.net/2010/06/29/dining-on-daylilies/
You can read more about edible daylilies and try my recipes at http://scottalexandersdaylilies.blogspot.com/